Battersea Power Station has stood empty for years awaiting development and approval of plans. Now it’s been announced that in October 2013, conversion into new homes will finally begin thirty years after the ability station closed. The Battersea Power Station Development Company is behind the venture and in control of the restoration of the Grade II listed building.
The restoration project will run into millions of pounds and will have to include much major repair work before any renovation is in fact undertaken. P2001 power station The very first phase of the building work is to repair the external brickwork, clean the towers, do work to the steel frame, repair and replace windows and remove and rebuild the famous chimneys. The chimneys will soon be reconstructed to the exact same design but utilising the latest safety and structural standards. The theory is to keep the building looking the exact same and as a symbol of London.
A particular team has been assembled to work on the website and the main developer for phase 1 as been announced as Carillion with the architect being Ian Simpson Architects and de Rijke Marsh Morgan. The contract for the very first phase is rumoured to be worth around £400 million and will soon be among the largest in London at the existing time. Carillion is among the UK’s largest construction firms and already has a number of high profile development schemes udder its belt such as for instance Terminal 5 at Heathrow Airport and Crossrail and the Royal Liverpool Hospital Project.
The very first phase will soon be known as Circus West and will be to the west side of the Power Station and will include around 850 one, two and three bedroom apartments, also town houses and luxury penthouses. There may also be shops, commercial units, cultural buildings an d community spaces. When completed the whole development will give you a lot more than 3,500 new homes. It may also create a large number of new jobs.
Battersea Power Station is the largest brick building in Europe and was known for its Art Deco interior and decor. It is a classic coal-fired power station on the lender of the Thames river, in South-West London. It is in fact two individual power stations that have been built at different times but within one building. The very first part was built in the 1930’s and the 2nd part 20 years later. They have the same design giving the iconic 4 chimney look. The ability station stopped making electric in 1983 and has stood empty ever since. However appearances in several music videos for the Beaatles, Take That and Judas Priest and importantly gracing the cover of Pink Floyd’s 1977 album Animals have caused it to be a distinctive landmark for London.
Prior to the 1930’s it absolutely was for the area councils to produce electric and so there have been small power stations to perform the job for different districts and the energy was useful for a particular factory or industry and excess was sold to the public. However as these were small places the standard and voltage and frequency of the ability differed greatly. In 1925 the Government decided there should be a single power grid with uniform standards. The London Power Company was formed from many of small power suppliers.
Their first super power station was built at Battersea since the proximity to the river allowed for easy cooling of the systems and great for delivery of the coal and was in the heart of London to produce electric to. There clearly was much opposition on the causes that the building will be an eye-sore so the business introduced a famous architect to create the exterior. When it opened it absolutely was the most thermally efficient power station in the world. It had been built in 2 stage and by enough time the 2nd phase was completed the UK’s electric supply had been nationalised and ownership was passed to the British Electricity Authority.
There have been a number of redevelopment plans over time as different companies took over the site. In 2004 there was a redevelopment project in the pipe line but the prevailing debts of over £750 million, the requirement that any development must incorporate a £200 million contribution to a proposed extension of the London Underground, the need for a waste transfer plant and cement factory on the banks of the river and the conversation required, caused it to be an unattractive investment and an arduous commercial project.
In 2006 it absolutely was bought by an Irish company for £400 million. They initially planned to refurbish your website into a public venue and housing. The master plan was granted permission to proceed nevertheless the Irish company’s debts meant the administrations were called in by the end of December 2011 and in July 2012 it absolutely was sold to a Malaysian owned consortium for the exact same amount since the Irish company bought it for. Most interested parties simply wished to demolish the structure and redevelop the land and it’s took careful negotiation to discover a firm prepared to undertake the conservation and refurbishment, while having a commercial venture.